A Southern Grace: the cartoon lightbulb

August 6, 2014

the cartoon lightbulb

Yum

Way back in 2011, I made a really easy dessert that was reminiscent of one of my favorite candy bars, the Mounds. The treats were so good, I still have them as a part of my sweets rotation.


It randomly occurred to me one day that the inside of those bars would also work as a cupcake filling, so I gave it a try the very next chance I got. My instincts were good--the consistency was perfect for scooping into a fluffy and soft chocolate cupcake. A bite into these gems includes tender cake combined with a cool, creamy, coconutty filling and smooth, rich buttercream frosting. The kicker is some crunchy toasted coconut on top. SO perfect.

I'm sure almonds could be incorporated in some way (like, say, with some almond extract in the frosting and toasted nuts on top) if Almond Joys are more your speed. Either way, this is a killer combination and definitely worth a trip all the way, way back to 2011.

Mounds Cupcakes (for when you don't feel like a nut)
Makes 24
Ingredients:
One batch of chocolate cupcakes
One batch of vanilla buttercream frosting, plus some toasted coconut for garnish
Coconut filling:
  • 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 3-3/4 cups sweetened coconut flakes
Directions:
Make the cupcakes as directed and let them cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the coconut filling by stirring together sweetened condensed milk and coconut in a large bowl, mixing well.
Prepare the frosting as directed.
To fill the cupcakes, carve out a cone-shaped hole and spoon the filling inside. Apply frosting generously to the cupcakes and, after giving the components a few minutes to get to know each other, sprinkle with toasted coconut and devour.


18 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Irresistible! I love that filling.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

We have Bounty bars, which work on a similar coconut & chocolate theme, and I love them, so pretty sure I would love these too!

Angie's Recipes said...

mmm..So decadent! I love that coconut filling.

Juliana said...

OMG! Coconut and condensed milk? YES, YES and YES...looks awesome Grace!
Hope you are having a great week :D

Unknown said...

I agree totally. I need some summer decadence... Tks for the review as I missed the first one!!

Jane said...

Nothing better than constant improvements. There is always a way, or in this case a better recipe!

Joanne said...

You must know that I'm crazy obsessed with chocolate and coconut...a perfect cupcake pair.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Just the idea of combining condensed milk with coconut flakes is incredible! Great cupcake filling - or snack by itself ;)

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh my! It's like a Bounty cupcake! I would quite enjoy the almond version too I think.

Marjie said...

Did you put the cupcake cone back in place? That would be great, too. I love this whole idea, because who doesn't like a good filled cupcake?

Emily said...

Mounds and Almond Joy are my absolute favorite candies! You know I would LOVE these cupcakes!

Pam said...

Bookmarked. I'll be making these beauties for the next birthday celebration we have. YUM!

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm bookmarking too!
You know my love for coconut is abundant and versatile.
I LOVE frosting that has toasted coconut.

Velva said...

Oh yes! These are divine. Love these cupcakes.

Beth said...

What a fabulous idea! These cupcakes sound amazing.

Katerina said...

That filling must be so outrageously decadent, that I cannot resist!

Heather said...

Oh, yum! I love Mounds bars-what a great way to make those flavors into a cupcake.

Tania @My Kitchen Stories said...

Mmmm sounds like an addictive filling